“Growing Hastings: The Early Years,” the first of three planned exhibits on Hastings history, covers the growth of Hastings from Native American times through the era of tenant farms to early industrialization and village incorporation in 1879.
|Postcard circa 1900 of a house at the corner of Broadway and Main Sreet, at the location of the current Hastings Terrace Condominiums. This is thought to have been the location of the Post Tavern during the Revolutionary War and, later on, became the residence of William F. Chrystie, who served as the village’ first president, beginning in 1879.|
|Trainmen George Brook (possible Brown) (left) and Charles Curtis Delanoy (right) at the Hastings railroad station downtown, circa 1890. This station was located slightly to the south of the current location, where the entrance to the station parking lot is now. Charles Delanoy was also the village’s telegraph operator.|